Missing teeth not only cause embarrassment, but they can also have a negative impact on your overall health if left untreated. Fortunately, dental implants can rejuvenate your smile, boost your confidence, and improve your ability to bite, chew, and speak. Dr. Whitson offers dental implants to his patients who are struggling with tooth loss—read on to learn more.
Tooth Loss Can Cause Other Oral Problems
If you’ve lost one or more teeth from an injury, periodontal disease, or aging, it can affect your health and your lifestyle in the following ways:
- Difficulty chewing: If you’re missing several teeth, you are going to find chewing difficult. Furthermore, food will become trapped in the gaps between your teeth, increasing your risk of tooth decay.
- Shifting teeth: Over time, surrounding teeth will begin to move into gaps from missing teeth. Teeth may also start to move outward, increasing the risk of biting your cheek or tongue.
- Overloading: If you have fewer teeth doing the job of a full set of teeth, they will be vulnerable to more wear and tear. This can also cause more pressure to be exerted on your jaw.
- Bone loss: If left untreated, tooth loss can lead to depletion of your jawbone.
The Benefits of Replacing Missing Teeth with Dental Implants
Here are some of the benefits of dental implants:
- Your confidence and self-esteem are restored.
- You can maintain the health and structure of your natural teeth.
- You can care for your dental implants just as you do your natural teeth.
With regular cleaning, flossing and dental visits, your dental implants can also last a lifetime.
If you are considering dental implants, contact Dr. Whitson on (314) 842-2038 and find out more about your options.